Program Overview

Students can pursue graduate education and research in underground construction & tunneling (UC&T) through one of four degree programs at Mines. Students can pursue a MS or PhD in civil, geological or mining engnineering through the respective departments, and tailor their program accordingly. Alternatively, students can pursue the newly formed interdisciplinary MS or PhD specifically in UC&T. The graduate degree program in UC&T is offered jointly by the departments of Civil & Environmental Engineering (CEE), Geology & Geological Engineering (GEGN), and Mining Engineering (MN). Please see the Bulletin for more information. Please use the campus-wide online application form to apply for admission and financial assistance.

Degree Programs

  • Master of Science in Underground Construction & Tunneling (Thesis and Non-Thesis)
  • Doctor of Philosophy in Underground Construction & Tunneling


Students in UC&T often conduct funded research through the Center of Excellence in UC&T. The Center for UC&T is dedicated to advancing knowledge through research and works closely with industry partners. Learn more about current research projects that take on the challenges unique to the UC&T industry.

Financial Support

Financial assistance for graduate studies is available and may be in the form of teaching assistantships, research assistantships or fellowships. Generally, financial assistance is reserved for students pursuing a MS Thesis or PhD. To guarantee consideration for financial assistance in Fall 2017, prospective students should submit their complete application by Dec 31, 2016.